On Saturday morning at 10:25 am Westport Fire Department received a call for the reported odor of propane on Surf Road at a home that was under construction. The Westport Fire Department dispatched 1 Engine, 1 Ladder Truck and the Assistant Chief on the initial assignment. The first arriving unit arrived and reported an odor of propane on the site with an unknown source, with units investigating. Upon further investigation, fire department personnel located an underground 500 lb. propane tank actively leaking from the tanks relief valve a few houses away. The incident commander (Assistant Chief John Plofkin) special called 1 additional Westport Engine along with the Fairfield County Hazmat vehicle in case a “burning off” of the propane tank would be required. Protective hose lines were put into place to protect adjacent structures and to protect fire department personnel working around the immediate leak area.
The homeowners’ propane dealer was then contacted to make an emergency response to assist fire department personnel with stopping the leak and removing the propane. The leak was unable to be stopped due to the tanks relief valve being damaged. On duty Westport fire department members who are also with the Fairfield County Hazardous Materials Response Team assisted the propane dealer burning off the propane to empty the tank to mitigate the hazard.
The operation to secure and burn off the propane is still underway.
As of this release, 5:30 pm, firefighters still remain on the scene burning off propane from the tank.
Lynn Kirby for westportfirefighters.com
Lynn Kirby for westportfirefighters.com
Earlier today, Westport Firefighter Dan Mascolo, wife Norell and baby Ben received financial support from the non-profit organization The Umbrella Club. Westport Police Department Corporal Dave LiBrandi, a supporter of the Umbrella club, was made aware of the Mascolo family’s needs through a fund raising flyer that had been distributed at the Westport Police
Department. Corporal LiBrandi contacted Lieutenant Brett Kirby at Westport Fire Department to arrange a meeting between the Mascolo family and representatives of the Umbrella Club, Scott Kelly and John Heide. Shortly thereafter, the Mascolo’s were elated to discover that they would be the recipients of a very generous donation of financial support from the club. The funds will greatly assist the Mascolo family with physical, occupational and speech therapy, including associated travel expenses, not covered by health insurance. The presentation was held this morning at Westport Fire Headquarters.
“My family is incredibly humbled by the generosity of the Umbrella Club and was humbled to have been chosen for their support”, said Firefighter Mascolo.
The Umbrella Club is a non-profit group based in Stamford that provides assistance to special needs children and their families through numerous local fund raising activities.
At approximately 2:00pm this afternoon, not long after clearing a haz-mat situation at Staples High school, firefighters responded to Long Lots Elementary school for a small fire under an elevator.The school was evacuated and the fire was extinguished quickly. The school was re-occupied by 2:35pm.
Around mid-day today Staples High School was forced to evacuate due to a small refrigerant leak in a basement at the Field House. Firefighters and EMS responded to the school and the Fairfield County Haz Mat team was called for advanced metering devices. The school was re-occupied at approximately 1:30pm.
The Westport Fire Department conducted a joint water supply drill with the Norwalk Fire Department’s Fire Boat today as an option for a large fire near the shore. The drill consisted of attaching a large diameter supply hose to the 38 foot “Robert Bedell” Fire Boat and supplying a pumper 850 feet down the street. The Norwalk Fire Boat has a pumping capacity of 2,300 gallons of water per minute and had no problem supplying the Westport Fire Department Pumper which can pump 1,500 gallons per minute.
At approximately 3:40 this afternoon firefighters responded to a reported propane leak on a property on Imperial Avenue. First arriving units at a house under construction, discovered a 1000 pound underground propane tank that had been compromised, with propane leaking from the tank under pressure. Protective hoselines were deployed and surrounding houses evacuated as a precaution. Firefighters metered the area around the house and inside the house itself. Technicians from the Fairfield County HazMat team were requested to respond to assist with the mitigation efforts. Fairfield Fire Department provided station coverage for the town, responding to calls for service while Westport units were tied up. Milford Fire Department Canteen Unit was requested to provide much needed rehab for firefighters operating at the scene and Westport EMS provided medical stand-by, transporting two firefighters to Norwalk hospital. Haz Mat Technicians opted to burn off the remaining propane in the tank. Units remained on the scene and the road remained closed until approximately 9:56pm
On Monday June 16th the Westport Firefighters golf tournament got underway at the Longshore Country Club. Golfers could not have asked for a more perfect day. The weather was superb with bright sunshine, clear skies and a slight breeze. Golfers started to assemble at 0700 for breakfast at the course while the firefighters prepared for the 0800 start. Fairway Market of Stamford provided a huge assortment of breakfast items that were eagerly devoured as golfers went through the final registration process. A great day of golf was had by all and a reception at the Red Barn Restaurant concluded the event. Westport Firefighters would like to extend an enormous thank you, particularly to all the golfers that participated, but also to the support personnel that made the tournament such a success. The Bridgeport Burn Center and a number of local charities will all benefit from this wonderful annual event.
Monday afternoon, Westport firefighters responded to a dumpster fire in Parker Harding plaza, to the rear of Main Street. The fire was knocked down quickly and there were no exposures to be concerned about. The Palza was closed for a short period of time while firefighters extinguished the fire.
At 05:52 on Monday May 5, 2014, Westport Fire Department along with Westport EMS, and CT State Police were called for an MVA on I95 Southbound between 18-17. Initial reports stated, there was a multi-vehicle accident with possible extrication. The initial fire response was 1 engine, 1 rescue, and the Shift Commander. An additional engine was added following the report of extrication. The first arriving engine, confirmed a vehicle off the road, down an embankment. The vehicle came to rest on its roof, and two occupants were trapped in the vehicle. An additional ambulance was requested from AMR. The first arriving engine deployed a protective hose line for potential fire suppression, and assessed the patients. Upon arrival of the Rescue, extrication commenced. The Rescue crew stabilized the vehicle, and utilized the hydraulic cutters, and “Jaws of Life”. Two occupants were extricated, treated, and turned over to EMS for continued treatment and transport to a trauma facility. Extrication was completed for both patients by 06:15, and the last fire unit cleared at 07:27. A substantial traffic backup resulted secondary to the accident.
On May 1st at 1756hrs, Westport Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at Izzo’s Country Garden and Landscaping located on Post Road East. The fire was located in the main nursery building. The fire was traveling across the ceiling upon arrival. A quick knockdown of the fire was made by Engine 5, the first due engine. The Post Road was closed for a short time when a water supply line was laid out to the nearest fire hydrant. The fire is currently under investigation by the Fire Marshal’s office. Fairfield and Norwalk Fire Department’s provided manpower and apparatus for Station coverage and a Rapid Intervention Team at the scene. The last Fire Department unit cleared the scene at 1858 hrs.